The PATCH was selected as the site for the EARN A BIKE program.
Our partner, FLIPANY will run this exciting program for 6 weeks beginning on June 6th.
What you need:
- 2 lb rutabaga
- Olive oil
- Garlic salt
- Smoked paprika
- Cayenne pepper
- Ground red Chipotle
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cover a baking sheet in parchment paper or foil.
What you do:
- Peal and cut into strips.
- Place in a bowl. Drizzle in enough olive oil to just barely coat all of the strips. Season liberally. I used quite a lot of the smoked paprika and a little bit of all the other seasonings.
- On a parchment-lined baking sheet, spread the fries out in a single layer and place the sheet in the oven for 25 minutes, or until the fries have turned a golden color with browned edges. Flip the fries once halfway through cooking with a spatula or fork.
- The tricky part is the baking time. You need to bake them past the raw stage where they are still hard, then past the stage where they are soft, and finally they will start to crisp up. Remove them from the oven after about 35-40 minutes.
For a healthy low-carb, and much lower fat option than regular fries, these babies are worth a try!
For more info and recipes: facebook.com/PATCHGarden
This recipe courtesy of www.cookincowgirl.com/2012/09/oven-baked-rutabaga-fries/
Some facts about Rutabagas and Turnips
High in Antioxidants
A single serving of rutabaga offers over 50% the DV of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a really effective anti-oxidant recognized to raise the defense mechanisms and stop illness. Like the majority of cruciferous veggies, rutabaga also includes carotenoids, which really help promote anti-oxidant activity.
High in Potassium
One serving provides about 6% the DV of potassium. Potassium assists encourage bone strength, helps with energy production as well as supports heart health and a proper metabolism
High in Zinc
Rutabagas and turnips provide a good source of zinc, an important mineral which forms a main element of a variety of enzymes. Foods that contains zinc lead to stronger defense mechanisms function as well as metabolism, plus they will protect you from physical stress. Every 1-cup serving of rutabaga offers 0.48 milligram of zinc, 6 % of the RDI for ladies or 4 % for guys, in accordance with the Linus Pauling Institute.
Turnips and Rutabaga is an excellent method to obtain fiber that will help retain the human body’s digestive tract. In accordance with some investigation, the glucosinolates present in these foods may also be helpful in the stomach process bacteria just like Helicobacter pylori and give rise to the creation of bile.
Low calorie, nutrient rich foods are balanced inclusions in efficient weight loss diet plans. High fiber foods additionally offer the metabolism and assist manage bodyweight.
For more info and recipes visit facebook.com/PATCHGarden
This info courtesy of www.healthbenefitstimes.com/health-benefits-of-rutabaga/
Dania Beach, FL January 21, 2014- The award winning Dania Beach PATCH™ Market Garden & Nursery commences the New Year with an intense desire to help patrons fulfill healthy lifestyle resolutions for the start of the 2015 year. According to a Marist poll conducted by the Institute for Public Opinion, weight loss is the top resolution this year cited by 13 percent of Americans who vow to make a change in 2015, followed by exercising and improvement of overall health. Looking to loose a few pounds gained during the holidays and start the New Year out healthy? The PATCH accommodates healthy habits by providing a variety of nutritious fruits and produce with prices that can not be beat. Pulled fresh from the garden right before your eyes, the PATCH will stock kitchens with only the most natural food ranging from the crispest lettuce to the juiciest apples. Skip the long lines in the supermarkets and enjoy this amazing weekly happening that is conducive to active lifestyle resolutions for the New Year.
The PATCH Farmers Market is open to the public every Saturday and Sunday from 9:00am to 1:00 pm and offers a wide selection of foods, ranging from heirloom tomatoes to farm fresh eggs, strawberries to baked goods, and collard greens to local honey! Find fresh herbs such as parsley, rosemary, cilantro and basil to add mouth-watering flavor to those healthy home-made dishes. Special events will be held every third Saturday of the month from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm at 1201 W Dania Beach Blvd. in Dania Beach. Event festivities include live music, a traditional and healthy backyard BBQ, food demonstrations, games and activities for the kids along with a large selection of fresh garden produce and a variety of specialty vendors.
The schedule for the Saturday January 24th, 2014 event is as follows:
• Market: 9:00 am – 1:00 pm
• Art for Kids: 10:00 am – Noon
• FLIPANY Food Demo: 10:00 am – 10:30 am
• YFIT Kids: 10:30 am – 11:00 am
• PATCH BBQ: 11:30 am – 12:30 pm
• FLIPANY Food Demo: Noon – 12:30 pm
This week’s specials include:
• $1 off BBQ plate with purchase of a PATCH logo tote
• Assorted flavors of gourmet popcorn are available 2 for $3.
• Buy any 2 nursery items and receive $2 off PATCH purchase of $10 or more
Ongoing specials include:
• Receive $2 off the purchase of a PATCH logo tote when you purchase $25 or more from the PATCH Market.
• Free aloe with $20 purchase
The PATCH accepts cash, Visa, MasterCard and EBT/Snap Cards; any EBT/Snap Card PATCH produce purchases receive a 50% discount!
In summary, The Dania Beach Community Redevelopment Agency (DBCRA) created a Community Garden, The PATCH™, on a vacant 1.6 acre lot to provide local organically grown fruits and vegetables to residents as part of an initiative to eliminate blight, promote economic development and improve community health. The idea led to a successful partnership between the DBCRA and the Broward Regional Health Planning Council and is an outstanding example of how non-traditional partnerships can be created in order to fulfill the CRA’s mandate to build better communities. The PATCH™ is truly “People’s Access to Community Horticulture”, making a strong, positive impact on quality of life in Dania Beach. “Several proposals have been presented to City and CRA staff, but none that truly and broadly improved and enhanced quality of life issues in Dania Beach. We really wanted a project that would support our aspirational brand to offer experiences in Dania Beach that would be ‘second to none’”, says Dania Beach CRA Executive Director Jeremy Earle.
The program facilitates meaningful connections between all residents of the community, including gardeners, educators, students and researchers on things pertaining to Market and Community Gardens while providing opportunities to cultivate friendships, strengthen neighborhoods, improve nutrition, and enjoy recreational and therapeutic activities. The garden provides a source of civic pride, an opportunity to teach children, residents and visitors about horticulture, agronomy, and how to run a business. Additionally, it provides a tremendous source of fantastic, fresh organic food through a truly unique experience that cannot be found anywhere else.
If you loved the Panzanella Salad that you saw prepared at The PATCH last week, we are happy to share the recipe, courtesy of Flipany! Hope you love it! This salad recipe is perfect for anyone who is looking for a delicious meal.
PATCH Panzanella Salad
6 medium sized tomatoes
½ sweet pepper, julienne
2 cups Spinach
¼ cup of capers
1 loaf of grilled Ciabatta cut into cubes
¼ cup of basil, julienne
1 garlic clove, minced
¼ cup kalamata olives, pitted and sliced in half
2 tbs red wine vinegar
2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and Pepper To Taste
- Grill the Ciabatta and cut into 1” cubes, set aside for use later.
- Marinate the capers in 2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar for 10 minutes and set aside.
- Submerge the tomatoes in a pot of boiling water for 10 seconds.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tomatoes to a bowl of ice water to cool slightly.
- Using a small paring knife, peel off the tomato skins.
- Cut in half and scoop out the seeds, and discard or use for compost.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1” pieces and set aside.
- In large bowl whisk together the olive oil, vinegar and garlic.
- Add the bread cubes, tomatoes, peppers, spinach, capers and olives.
- Toss together and garnish with basil.